Michelle Obama said, ‘When girls are educated, their countries become stronger and more prosperous.’
There has been significant progress in girls’ education, but still, not every girl is able to be educated especially more in LICs, which is upsetting. A child’s education is vital as it gives them the knowledge and skills they require. These are reasons why a girl should be educated:
1. It Furthers Educated Generations: By sending a girl to school, she is more likely to send her children to school. An African proverb says, ‘If you educate a man, you educate an individual, but if you educate a woman, you educate a nation.’
2. It Narrows Pay Gap and Increases Chance of Entering the Workforce:Christina Taylor says ‘Girls’ education is about so much more than knowledge. By ensuring a girl has equal access to education, employment and adequate healthcare, the benefits will pass on to her children, community and her country.’ This sums up the point perfectly. An educated girl making small steps in society can help open doors for future educated girls.
3. It Decreases Infant Mortality:Children of educated women are less likely to die before their first birthday. This is because girls with education are less likely to contract HIV and AIDS. This means less likely to pass it on to their children. If women all over the world had a secondary education, child deaths would be cut in half, saving millions of lives.
4. It Increases Involvement in Political Processes:Educated women are more likely to participate in political discussions, meetings, and decision-making, which in turn promotes a more representative, effective government. Drew Fuast says ‘We educate women because it is smart. We educate women because it changes the world.’
5. There’s Improvement in Socioeconomic Growth:Educated women have a greater chance in avoiding poverty as they lead a healthy life and have a good standard of living for their children, families and communities. ‘To educate girls is to reduce poverty,’ says Kofi Annan.
There are still many more reasons why a girl should be educated. For every boy that is educated, every girl should be educated too. To conclude, Angelina Jolie said, ‘There is no greater pillar of stability than a strong, free and educated woman.’